On a green hill, eight kilometres South - East of downtown Patra, are the facilities of the ACHAIA CLAUSS winery which stands out as one of the area's most significant tourist sights.
It was founded by Bavarian Gustav Clauss, who came to Patra in 1854. He bought a small vineyard so he could produce his own wine, and ended up building the Castle - Winery which stands intact until today. In 1861 he founded the company ACHAIA CLAUSS and the high-quality wines, amongst which is the Patra Mavrodafni, conquered the Greek and the international markets.
West of the Acropolis, in the Ano Poli (upper city) is Patra's Roman Odeum, that was built at an earlier date than the Athens Odeum (Herodion).
During the following centuries, earthquakes, wars, and conquerors, destroyed the Odeum and covered it with earth and other buildings. It came to light once again in 1889, when excavation works took place on hill for embankment of the port.
The process of restoration was completed in 1956 and in the same decade, the surrounded space was turn into an archaeological area where mosaics, sarcophagi and other ancient findings were displayed.
The Odeum consists of all main parts of a theatre, concave, orchestra, front-stage, stage and back-stage whilst the 23 rows of seats, can accommodate 2.300 spectators.
Since the establishment of the Patra International Festival, the Ancient Odeum constitutes its main stage, hosting top Greek and foreign artistic ensembles, during the summer months.
This pine-tree-covered hill called the terrace» of Gulf of Patras due to the magnificent view it offers
One can admire the view of Patra, the Port, the Patra Gulf and the lower coasts of Mesollongi to the mountains of Roumeli
The Castle of Patra was built during the 2nd half of the 6th century AD, on top of the ruins of the ancient Acropolis. It was built by Justinian for the protection of the area and its citizens. In the centuries that followed and up until the 2nd World War it remained in constant use for the city's defense but also as a administrative and military centre.
The body of a statue and a male head from the Roman years is built-in to a special niche in the wall structure. This deformed statue has taken on mythical proportions in the eyes of the residents of Patra. It became the city's wraith "Patrinela". According to the legend, it was a woman posing as a man during the years of Turkish occupation, who guards the city and laments in t ??????
The two Churches, dedicated to the city's patron saint Agios Andreas, are places of pan-Hellenic and pan-Orthodox pilgrimage. The old Church was built between 1836 and 1843 at the location where Apostle Andreas martyred.
The new, majestic Church built in Byzantine style was founded in 1908 by George the 1st and was inaugurated in 1974 by the Metropolitan Archbishop of Patra, Nikodimos.
It is the largest and most artistically significant church in the Balkans and one of the largest in Europe.
The central cupola is 46 metres tall and is the base for a 5-metre gold-plated cross and twelve smaller ones, symbolizing Christ and his twelve disciples. At least 5,000 can attend sermon within the church.
Next to the old Church, is the well of Agios Andreas. This spot was were Apostle Andreas preached. According to legend, it was also the spot where he was crucified.
The "APOLLON" Municipal Theatre located on Georgiou Α΄ square is considered to be the City's most impressive architectural jewel and is one of the first opera houses in Europe. It was built in 1872 based on the designs by German architect Ernest Ziller.
It boast three rows of balconies, with red velvet tapestries, a gallery, a loft and an orchestra.
The original lighthouse of Patra, built in 1858, was located at the end of the pier at the foot of Agios Nikolaos Street. The lighthouse was demolished in 1972 and a replica of the city's emblematic old lighthouse was constructed using the original stones, across from the modern church of St. Andrews.
The New Archaeological Museum of Patras is located in the city of Patras, It houses collections about the history of Patras and the surrounding area from prehistory to the end of Roman times.
This museum has been operating since 1952 and its exhibits include rare editions, newspapers from 1875, magazines, books and documents of historical value. One of the museum's most important exhibits is the official document sent by the 3rd National Assembly of the Greeks to the country's first Prime Minister Ioannis Kapodistrias (1827) signed by all the fighters of the revolution.
The Folk Art Museum was founded in 1977. Its aim is to collect folkloric material, to preserve and safeguard it and to study and promote it.
Its exhibits include agricultural tools, furniture from traditional dwellings and everyday objects, a library and a photographic archive.
The museum was founded in 1973 and its exhibits include among others weapons and other objects from the 1821 revolution, an original manuscript of a poem by Kostis Palamas, a table of signatures by fighters of the 1821 revolution, a copy of the Achaic Declaration of freedom, dated March 26th 1821